Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Passing Of Claude Sifferlen.

 With deep regret, I share the sad news of the passing of Indianapolis jazz piano great Claude Sifferlen, at the age of 69. Claude was a musical hero of mine, who I first saw perform in 1986 at the Chatterbox. His playing - the pure beauty of his other-worldly harmonic architecture, the intellectual power and spiritual grace of his improvisation, and his simultaneous fathomless complexity and quiet simplicity - was one of my favorite things in the world. Claude was an inspiration that truly altered my life's trajectory, and that of so many others. I will never forget the moments of brief grandeur he found - and shared - with us.
   I did not know him well as I would have liked to, but I heard him perform probably hundreds of times through the years and had the sublime opportunity to record him on a session at Hit City a few years ago. The fact that he even knew my name was a great pleasure to me. Claude was a true gentleman and one of those rare virtuosos whose ego did not overshadow his amazing gifts. I would like to offer my condolences to his family, collaborators and friends, and let you know that there are two musical celebrations scheduled (to both honor his infinite spirit and pay some earthly medical expenses): March 31 at the Jazz Kitchen, and at the Chatterbox on April 8.

2 comments:

  1. Tim, thank you for such an elegant and heartfelt tribute to Claude. I have known him since 1971 and played with him many times over the years. There is little I can add to your words. I am glad someone saw fit to place this in the public eye.

    Michael Lawrence

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this, Tim. My friend Mike (K., the drummer) just told me about Claude's passing, a few weeks ago.
    During the time that I worked in downtown Indy, I considered that nothing was better to end the day than to have a few at The Chatterbox, and listen to Claude and Frank. Claude was always quiet but friendly, hanging out between sets. Of all of the performers that I've ever witnessed working their respective crafts, only Claude and a very few others were completely mesmerising. Lovely guy, wonderful talent. Missed, truly.
    Regards,
    -WTT.

    ReplyDelete