Thursday, April 23, 2009

"Zippers Of Zoomerville" update...

We're in rehearsals now. And by that, I mean right now - it's Thursday night and Jack is blocking the first act with the cast, and I have a little time to catch my breath. I actually finished writing the music, recording a complete vocal version of it (w/ yours truly doing all the voices ala Freddie Mercury) and printed out the complete vocal score for the cast on Saturday, April 11. A happy day, indeed. I distributed materials, and after a few days of everyone getting a bit familiar with it, we had our first informal vocal rehearsal at the studio on that next Monday night, the 13th.

After all the time, toiling away on my own, it was a joy to hear it sung by others. And the best part was - I had gone out and made sure I had some good beer (current obsession: Red Seal Ale, from North Coast Brewing of Fort Bragg, CA. My brother Chuck, high-end beer procurer for the stars in Mill Valley, turned me on to it) and wine. When I offered them all a drink, they all looked so surprised, it cracked me up.

"Oh, yeah - you're all all professionals." I said. "Me - I've crafted a career where not only is drinking on the job is tolerated, it's often exhorted. Please feel free..." So we had a few drinks and a marvelous time for the next few hours.

That was then. No Red Seal flowing now here at rehearsals at the theatre. All business, folks. There's alot to get to in just a little over two and a half weeks. These multi-talented actor/singers are amazing. SO much to learn. The script - and the songs - are very syntax-dense, and the whole show is very fast-paced, with lots of character and costume changes - along with all the songs, of course. More later - back to the ol' piano.....

1 comment:

  1. Maybe more of your beer would help us out. Just a thought!
    Chuck

    ReplyDelete